Reasons Why You Should Own a Pool Table
Many people enjoy playing pool. If you are among them, you probably go to pool halls for an hour or so to play with your friends. But isn’t it better when you have your pool table in your own home? You can play whenever you want for hours. You can use that time to improve your skill or entertain your guests during special gatherings.
Playing pool has plenty of benefits. Some of these benefits may surprise you. So, without further ado, here are 8 reasons why you should look into having your very own pool table at home:
1. You Can Practice Whenever You Want
Whether you are bored or serious about improving your pool skills, you can play whenever you want when you have a pool table in your own home. It’s a convenient way to be better at the game. You can focus on perfecting the fundamentals and overcoming poor beginner habits.
The great thing about pool is that you can play on your own, especially if your goal is to be better. Practising every day can go a long way. Check out our blog on pool drills that can help you improve your skills.
2. Pool Tables are a Great Investment
Believe it or not, pool tables are a fantastic investment for your home. A bespoke pool table is worth every penny and can be a family heirloom that can be passed down to the next generations. Of course, your pool table requires your help. With a little bit of care and maintenance, your pool table can last for years to come.
3. Having a Pool Table Can Improve Your Family Relationship
Technology is now a dominant part of our lives. It has many benefits but also comes with several disadvantages. Think about it; you have your family over, and most of them will be on their phones instead of cherishing the time together. That’s where pool games differ. Encourage them to ditch their screens for a few hours and just enjoy some family bonding.
Parents can spend their afternoons or free time playing pool with their children, which fosters close family relationships. Pool is certainly a much better alternative to watching TV or playing mobile games. The best thing about pool is that you can be a complete beginner playing it. That’s why it is a great game for everyone, including your kids and even your grandma.
4. It’s Ideal for Socialising
Do you and your friends Google “Where to play pool near me?” When you have a pool table at home, you can just invite everyone over and play. You are a few steps away from a game or two with your friends. Just like with family relationships, playing pool at home also strengthens your bond with your mates.
It is also a lot easier to plan for your birthday or any celebration. You spend less time thinking about the activities that will keep your guests entertained. With a pool table, it’s guaranteed that everyone will have hours and hours of fun. Just make sure you have enough food and drinks for everyone.
5. There’s a Pool Table for Your Home
One issue that people often have to tackle when deciding to buy a pool table is space. Not everyone has enough room to accommodate a large 7-foot pool table. But here’s the good news. There are so many options now, including a smaller pool table – even a mini one. For an even better solution, you can have a convertible pool table that functions as a dining table at the same time. Isn’t that cool?
If a dining pool table is not an option, don’t fret. You can find outdoor pool tables, as well. If you have adequate space in your backyard, you can have a pool table in that area. Note that you need to make sure you have an outdoor pool table that uses sturdier, weather-resistant materials if you plan to place the furniture outside the house.
6. Outdoor Pool Tables Offer Health Benefits
Staying on the topic of outdoor pool tables, playing pool outside the house is beneficial for your health. You get to bask in the sun, which comes with many advantages, including:
- Boosting your body’s vitamin D supply
- Reducing stress and fighting off depression
- Improving your sleep by increasing the production of the melatonin hormone
- Maintaining strong bones
- Strengthening your immunity
This is not to say that playing indoors is not healthy, though. We’ll talk more about the health benefits of playing pool, whether you enjoy an outdoor or indoor game.
7. Convertible Pool Tables are Not Your Ordinary Pool Tables
You may have heard about convertible pool tables or those known as pool dining tables or 2-in-1 pool tables. They are becoming more and more popular these days, especially for apartment dwellers. As the name suggests, this type of pool table lets you use it as a dining table. Then, you only have to flip it or press a button, and the table seamlessly transitions from dinner to game time. It’s not only easy but also fun to see the transformation.
If you need more reasons why you should pick a convertible pool table, this blog will surely help you decide.
8. Playing Pool is Good for Your Physical and Mental Wellbeing
Pool is undoubtedly a competitive game, and a lot of pool table owners practice diligently. It motivates players to play better – not just good enough. Healthy competitions inspire people, especially young kids, to become more inquisitive whilst learning to work with others.
The game of pool is said to reduce stress. Unlike other games, pool players rarely become outraged – even when they lose. That’s because pool offers behavioural benefits, helping players improve their patience, discipline, and self-control. Many players are calm and level-headed as they strategise their next move. They know how to wait patiently until it is their turn. It’s also uncommon to find players that taunt each other during the game.
More Health Benefits That You Can Get From Playing Indoor and Outdoor Pool
- Fitness: Did you know that you burn more calories when playing pool than just sitting at home, or watching TV? The game forces you to lean, bend, and stretch your arms and body. Some moves even help increase your flexibility. And since you are standing most of the time, it can help tone your muscles, especially if you play the game consistently. Of course, it will not do wonders if you are trying to lose weight. But it does help burn more calories as you walk around the table. Even thinking hard as you plan how to pocket the next ball is a calorie-burning activity.
- Neurological: Playing pool is more than fun. You may not notice it, but you use your brain a lot as you develop a good strategy. Pool trains your critical thinking skills, as well as your cognition and accuracy.
- Hand-Eye Coordination: One thing that pool is being applauded for is that it helps enhance hand and eye coordination. You use your muscles and vision together to bank all your balls and pocket the eight-ball for you to win. And because no game of pool is the same, you adjust your strategy each time based on the layout of the balls. You decide and improve your problem-solving skills with every turn.
- Balance: As we age, we start losing our balance. How many times have you seen a pool player delicately leaning over the table with one foot up in the air to reach for their shot? That’s skill! Repeated plays help you maintain balance, which is crucial in ensuring precision in shooting.
With the benefits above, there’s no question that you should certainly have a pool table in your home. Its mental and physical health benefits are undeniable. At the same time, this piece of furniture is timeless, making any room stand out.