Are 2-in-1 Pool Tables Any Good?
Game rooms are more fun when there is wide space available for playing and entertaining your friends. But not everyone has the luxury of an expansive room built just for those purposes. (Here is a room-size guide to help you out.) If you have limited space, you probably forego the idea of buying a pool table and settle for just a dining table. But what if you can bring these tables together? That’s where two-in-one tables are for.
In general, if you want the best experience in playing pool, you should always opt for high-quality single-piece slate tables. They have excellent bumpers, among other great attributes, making sure that you will enjoy years and years of playing. Construction has changed over the years, but one thing remains: you need space to play pool. Here is the solution for those who love playing the game but do not have enough room in the house: a 2-in-1 pool table.
What are 2-in-1 Pool Tables?
Two-in-one pool tables are also called combination or combo tables. This type of pool table is considered a good starter table for those who dream of having a game room but with insufficient space. You do not have to be a pro to use a 2-in-1 pool table, which makes it the ideal choice for both newbies and those who play for fun. At the same time, it is also suitable for those trying to learn more about their gameplay.
For example, you can use this pool table to learn and improve your angles and other techniques. However, if you want to progress into a more skilled player, you will need better quality and a more reactive pool table.
Most of the time, 2-in-1 tables are smaller than regular pool tables, which are around eight to nine feet. That is why they are the more appropriate choice for people with less space. Many 2-in-1 pool tables are just six to seven feet in size, although you can always find one that has the exact measurement of an Australian pool table if you wish.
A small pool table is still a decent way to learn to play. But getting the measurements down pat is an even better option. Since this type of pool table doubles as a dining table, you get to save even more space. Additionally, you can turn the pool table into another game, such as foosball, table tennis, hockey, and backgammon, among many others.
Should You Buy a 2-in-1 Pool Table?
If you don’t have enough space in your house or apartment, 2-in-1 pool tables are a superb alternative to having both dining and pool tables. This furniture piece has a space-saving design, allowing the owner to use the table for playing pool and eating. Some tables even let you play multiple games. And if you don’t have enough space for your other favourite games, such as ping pong, a convertible table tennis top is a no-brainer.
Aside from requiring you to have a large room for all your favourite games, here are more reasons why you may want to purchase a two-in-one pool table:
- It’s a cost-effective option. This one is quite obvious. Instead of buying two tables (or more), you get what you need for the price of one. Also, multi-game tables can come with accessories that you will not find in single-piece models. It’s easy to see how you can save money with this type of pool table.
- It offers fun for everyone. Your friends and family have different interests. Some may want to play pool, but others may want to play table tennis. Some days you just want to play foosball, and there may also be times when you want to enjoy a pre-game meal. You can have all these things with just one piece of furniture. Even kids can join the fun. That’s how flexible a 2-in-1 pool table can be.
- Accessories are often included. For multi-game tables, it can be difficult to buy all the needed accessories to play two or more games in one go. However, if you purchase a two-in-one pool table, you will likely receive the accessories you require for the games it supports. For example, ping pong balls may be delivered to you upon purchase, including the pool balls and cue stick, among others.
Many 2-in-1 tables are easy to install. You can also hire a professional to install it for you or just include the installation service in the final cost of the item.
Two-in-One Pool Tables are Not Created Equal
Instead of adding a pool table to your game room, you can have one that converts into a dining table when it’s time to sit and enjoy some food. Combination tables are fun for the entire family and friends. They are the ultimate attraction in the game room, allowing everyone to play their favourite table sport. But despite the benefits of having a 2-in-1 table, some standard features set the best combo pool table apart from the plethora of options you can find on the Australian market.
Before purchasing a 2-in-1 pool table or having one constructed for you, ensure you have the ideal size for your available space and a durable, quality table built to last. Check out this blog post to know how to test the quality of the pool table you plan to buy. With that in mind, here are a few things that you should check before buying:
- Material: Pool tables require a smooth playing surface; otherwise, your play experience will not be worth your time. The reality is that convertible tables rarely use good quality materials, which is why some people stay away from them. But there are so many options today that fit almost every price point, including those that use nylon and wool and a combination of steel and wood. Avoid plastic tables if you want durable construction. Whilst plastic tables can also last with proper care, they usually cannot withstand hours of gameplay, unlike the mentioned materials.
- Size: This is one of the most important factors to consider when selecting your pool table. To ensure that you do not make a mistake, be sure that you measure the space that you have first. Take into account the additional space you need for your guests and other players. Everyone should be able to move around comfortably without bumping into one another.
- Storage: If you need the game room for a specific purpose, you may want to store the pool table for a while. It should be easy to keep it out of sight without taking a lot of space when not in use. That is why you should measure the room and verify that the pool table will fit in the corner, even when tucked away.
- Price: Pool tables are a considerable investment. They are not cheap – unless you’re willing to sacrifice the quality for the price. Multi-game tables are less expensive, but some may not be within your price range. Before you buy one, make sure that you are comfortable with the total cost of the product. There may be additional fees, as well, including delivery and installation. Consider these factors before you come to a final decision.
You may also want to look at the provided accessories and the included games. If you are simply looking for a pool table that converts into a dining table, you only require the pool accessories. However, if you wish to play multiple games, you can make a list of what you’re looking for first. That way, you can see if the product you plan to get checks all the boxes on your list. Don’t forget to read the product description to determine if the accessories are included, or you have to buy them separately.
Finally, the type of pool table will help you narrow down your choices of products to buy. The most common types of convertible tables include:
- Flip Top: As the name suggests, the top of the table requires you to flip it over so that you can change to another game or purpose. It can turn from a pool table playing surface to your dining table when you rotate or swivel it. However, this type of combo table can be quite expensive because it typically requires high-quality materials to endure the constant flipping.
- Conversion Top: If you want a more budget-friendly option, the conversion top may suit you. Often, this type comes with a folding surface so that you can fit another top on the regular table. It does require more effort when switching between games or to a dining table. However, it offers more flexibility since you can fit a wide variety of game tops whenever you want.
- Hybrid: In this type of multi-game table, you get a combination of a flip top and a conversion top. You may need to flip the table over with a switch or remote control. You can also remove the gaming surface and unfold another to change to another game or your dining tabletop.
Everyone can have fun with a 2-in-1 pool table. But depending on the type you have, make sure that you’re careful when switching to another game. Fingers of the players and spectators, especially kids, can get caught in the mechanism, which can cause serious injury.